Welcome to Raicilla Dreams, please make yourself comfy....you will find many photos, anecdotes and tales of Yelapa told by amigos that lived there before electricity and before it was totally discovered by the tourist world. I welcome your own memories and photos.


Start at the very bottom with archives and work your way up if you want to follow the order I posted. Otherwise, just feel free to skip around and read what suits your fancy...faye

Sunday, June 15, 2008

The White Prince of Reggae

Josh Mills came sailing into Yelapa and my heart on his boat the Silverheels from Sausalito, CA. He was a wild musician that carried his axe around the beach and played all the Bob Marley tunes and other current expat songs of the day. Josh was popular on the beach as there was always a crowd waiting to embrace any decent musician, just like today.

We met and fell for each other instantly and I was his top groupie for a few months. He lived on his anchored boat with his partner Dave. Each night he rowed to Isabel's beach, pulled his dinghy up onto shore and made his way to my palapa where I waited with open arms. I'd hear him shout my name and run to greet him with a ready kiss. How I loved that man! One time the ocean was full of fluorecsence and I could see his oars paddling diamonds across the sea each time they dipped into the water. It was so very magical being surrounded by sparkling black water when my strokes broke the surface while swimming out to him. I'll forever cherish the beauty of the sparkling night seas.

He had a cigarette ready at the head of the bed for his morning ritual. I've never seen anyone smoke so much before. If it wasn't a cigarette, it was a joint, but I didn't care what he did as long as he was mine. I had just been in Yelapa for a few months. During that early time, I just hung around the beach, but didn't talk much. I watched and listened as I was still shy and unsure of myself after my separation and overindulgence in pharmeceuticals back in the Midwest. Josh brought me out of my shell and I'll forever be grateful to him for that.

He would sail in and out of Yelapa and my life during that first year. When I first came to CA looking for a place to live, I found him in Sausalito on a houseboat. He had a son named Thor and a wife! I was shocked and saddened, but she seemed to know her man and took me in stride when I appeared. Shoshanna was a very nice person and I had no intention of stealing her man once I knew the score.

I can't help but picture him when I hear Marley tunes like On the Rivers of Babylon and Get Up Stand Up. Once I found a note on my door from Josh. It was signed The White Prince of Reggae!