Welcome to Raicilla Dreams, please make yourself comfy....you will find many photos, anecdotes and tales of Yelapa told by amigos that lived there before electricity and before it was totally discovered by the tourist world. I welcome your own memories and photos.


Start at the very bottom with archives and work your way up if you want to follow the order I posted. Otherwise, just feel free to skip around and read what suits your fancy...faye

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Chicharra

Orange Charlie was another eccentric character in Yelapa. He always wore orange-colored clothes and drank orange-flavored Fanta. Rumor had it that Charlie had taken one too many tabs of LSD, but that could probably be said about many of Yelapa's early gringo residents. In my mind, Charlie was a harmless character. He always carried a clicker that made the sound of a cricket or chicharra (cicada) which attracted the village children. He would click above their heads and offer a prayer and then give each child a small square pscyhedelic sticker. He was the Orange Pied Piper of Yelapa.

When I first came to Yelapa, I only knew how to count to 15 in Spanish. That was my limited vocabulary. One time I went into PV to do some shopping. I wanted some dyes and other art supplies. Obviously to me, chicharra was the word for orange. I went to several shops and asked for chicharra only to be met by blank stares. I finally pointed to the box of dye colored orange and was informed by the clerk that word was naranja!